This 1-day workshop will provide you with tips and advice in order to build a photography portfolio. Working in a friendly, informative and supportive environment you will be guided and given feedback in how to create your portfolio from editing your photographs and writing a statement and an artist’s CV through to its final presentation.
The workshop is aimed at:
- amateur and professional photographers
- artists who use photography
- photography students of any level
This workshop is for you:
- if you are working on a variety of photographic genres and want to put together a portfolio out of all your photographs.
- if you have a number of photographic projects (at least one) that stand on their own as coherent bodies of work.
- if you have photographic works in progress, which you want to include in your portfolio
- if you are applying for a photography course and want to create a presentable portfolio of your work so far.
At the end of the workshop you will be able to:
- discuss and reflect on your ideas regarding your portfolio as a representation of
your photographic practice
- demonstrate a practical engagement with editing techniques
- write a draft statement about your portfolio work
- write a draft artist’s CV
- have a photography portfolio in your hands
General Workshop Outline
11:30 – 13:00
- Group discussion, brainstorming and personal experiences on creating a photography portfolio
- Tips & Advice - Photography Portfolio Contents
Brief delivering of information regarding the contents of a photography portfolio
- Tips & Advice - Portfolio Presentation/Format
Brief delivering of information regarding various portfolio formats including choice of paper to print
your work and storage sleeves to protect it.
13:00 Lunch Break (bring your own lunch)
13:30 – 15:00
- Tips & Advice - Editing Technique
Brief delivering of information regarding how to edit your photographs, which will be included in your portfolio.
- Group editing and feedback on each other’s work
During this part of the workshop you will have the opportunity to briefly discuss your work with your peers, apply some editing techniques and get constructive feedback on the contents of your portfolio.
15:00 Tea & Biscuits Break
15:10 – 16:30
Continuation of Group editing
16:30 – 17:20 (accompanied by your tea/coffee)
- Tips & Advice - Writing a Statement and an artist’s CV
Brief delivering of information regarding how to write a statement and an artist’s CV.
During this part of the workshop you will share your already existing artist statement and CV with your
peers and get feedback and advice on how to improve them
17:20 - 17:30 End of Workshop – Sum up
During the workshop, I will be acting more as a facilitator and less as a teacher to help you take charge of expressing your thoughts and ideas and sharing them with the rest of the group as well as gain the confidence to give constructive feedback to your peers.
After the end of the workshop I will be sending you e-handouts by email, which will include the following:
- Tips & Advice Info of all the themes covered in the workshop
- Links to visual references on individual works to look at in your own time